Monday, February 9, 2009

Smart people have large vocabularies (and love free stuff)

Yes! It's true. Smart people have large vocabularies! Very large. You know what else smart people have that's large?

A desire for free stuff! So since I am in a terribly good mood, and you are all such lovely readers, I have decided to host another contest (yay!).

Here's how it goes, in the comments please post:
  1. A word you know
  2. The definition
  3. An e-mail address where you can be reached (and as super smart Maven taught me, post it like this "lrbranigan AT gmail DOT com" so the spammy evil robots don't get your e-mail address)
That's it. Really? Yes. Short and sweet this time. Entries will be judged on how interesting the word is, so don't post something you use every day (and please, keep it PG). Make your comments by Friday, February 13 (ugh, unlucky day) at 11:59 PM EST. The winner will be announced Monday.

And what do you get if you are the winner?


A beautiful handcrafted anklet designed by jeweler Lori Rae which features Swarovski crystals and a sterling silver chain (only the best for my readers).


I always wanted to be on QVC (no lie), but its easy to see why I'm not with these hamburger/sausage hands. It's no wonder I type with two fingers (thanks for nothing PAWS).

The winner and two runner ups will receive a certificate from the University of Branigan (You can ask Paul Z., it's pretty awesome).

Ready, set, GO!

Thanks to Beth Randall Branigan (yes relation), representative for Lori Rae, for donating the anklet. You are especially lovely.

9 comments:

paulzak2 said...

The certifercate is awesome. It is prominantly displayed on my wall. It will be even more awesome Friday when it has a buddy to sit next too, good luck readers!

Unknown said...

omphalomesenteric om·pha·lo·mes·en·ter·ic (ŏm'fə-lō-měz'ən-těr'ĭk, -měs'-)
adj.
Relating to the navel and the mesentery.
Yes, I used to be a biology major! I thought you might be interested in this post about big vocabularies on Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-nickolas/obamas-press-conf-answers_b_165467.html

Love your site, Ms. Branigan!

Unknown said...

zygodactylous

Related Forms
Variant of zygodactyl

zygodactyl Definition
zygo·dac·tyl (zī′gə dak′təl, zig′ə-)

adjective

having the toes arranged in two opposed pairs, two in front and two in the rear

This is a great word, I couldve posted better but I think this one is funny...

Katie said...

spanghew (SPANG-hew)
Verb
To cause a toad or frog to go flying into the air.

Notify me of my win at kfoley AT coynepr DOT com

testanator said...

My word:

1. pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

2. /ˈnumənoʊˌʌltrəˌmaɪkrəˌskɒpɪkˈsɪlɪˌkoʊvɒlˌkeɪnoʊˌkoʊniˈoʊsɪs, ˈnyu-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [noo-muh-noh-uhl-truh-mahy-kruh-skop-ik-sil-i-koh-vol-key-noh-koh-nee-oh-sis, nyoo-] Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
an obscure term ostensibly referring to a lung disease caused by silica dust, sometimes cited as one of the longest words in the English language.


I love this word. I also love antidisestablishmentarianism. I learned that one in 7th grade.

Unknown said...

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

Part of Speech: n
Definition: fear of long words

Unknown said...

Oh and my email is Shimmy136@aol.com :)

JAG said...

The uvula (pronounced /ˈjuːvjələ/) is the conic projection from the posterior edge of the middle of the soft palate, composed of connective tissue containing a number of racemose glands, and some muscular fibers (musculus uvulae).[1]. It is frequently confused with the epiglottis[1] and the tonsils.

When you announce that I am the winner please contact me @
jgeraghty AT coynepr DOT com

amelia said...

1. arsenious. means "containing arsenic," has all the vowels in the english language in alphabetical order.

2. princessship. definition both self-explanatory and awesome. legal oxford english dictionary word, and one of very few with any single letter repeating three times.

3. breastcessorize. when a woman is clearly using her breasts as an accessory to her outfit. alright, so it's not a dictionary term-- tell me it's not useful?