Monday, February 2, 2009

And the winner is...You are never more than 6 feet away from a spider

Yes! After hours of deliberation, my expert panel (I really did get other people read them...well kind of bombarded them, but whatever...) put in their votes and I can now name the winner of the "Smart people love free stuff" contest.

drum roll please...

PAUL Z!

I was honestly freaked out by this fact. Kudos for mentioning Law and Order, I'm a huge SVU fan (oooh Christopher Meloni).

A random fact
-
You are never more than 6 feet away from a spider.

(Since Paul didn't provide a photo, I took the liberty of including a picture of the only spider I ever remotely liked.)


How you know the fact
Kelly and Anderson Cooper spoke about it this morning on Live with Regis and Kelly.
Regis had the day off. Also as per my research it was on some episode of Law and Order.

Proof that the fact is true:
at exactly 9:20 on January 23rd
also . . . .
3rd paragraph.


BUT there is more! Second place goes to...

Shana R!

Who doesn't love a good WDW fact? I feel like that is something my dad would have told me. Love it.

Random Fact: There are 11,324 triangles on Epcot’s Spaceship Earth


How I know this fact: When I was at Epcot, my family and I were walking past Epcot, and my younger brother asked, “how many triangles do you think are on that thing?” We all took our guesses, trying to see who could guess closest to the actual number. When we got home, I googled it, and found that the answer was only 1,324 more than what I guessed. For the record, I had the closest guess.


Proof: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1288966/architecture_of_epcots_spaceship_earth.html?cat=16


Andddd last but not least....third place goes to...

Lindsey S!

You can tell by the length of this post Lindsey really did her homework. "A for Effort" goes to you and your exceptional post. You make me want to go to Italy...now.

Stendhal syndrome, Stendhal's syndrome, Hyperkulturemia, or Florence syndrome- is a psychosomatic illness that causes rapid heartbeat, dizziness, fainting, and even hallucinations, due to being exposed and overcome by art. Usually this art will be breathtakingly beautiful, or plentiful in one single area. The name "Stendhal" or "Florence" syndrome was coined due to this phenomenon's first and most common place of occurance (Florence, Italy), and the first person to have said to experience such an incredible sensation during an 1817 sojourn to Italy. (19th CenturyFrench author Henri-Marie Beyle or his penname- Stendhal) After his journey he completed the book- Naples and Florence: A Journey from Milan to Reggio.


Italian psychiatrist Graziella Magherini, observed and described more than 100 similar cases among tourists and visitors in Florence. The syndrome was first diagnosed in 1982.


Stendhal Syndrom has been noted or used as a plot in the following:

# Graziella Magherini. La Sindrome di Stendhal. Firenze, Ponte Alle Grazie, 1989. [1]
# Frieze Magazine Article http://www.frieze.com/issue/article/the_shock_of_the_old/
# Cameron in Ferris Bueller's Day Off may be having a episode of the syndrome in the museum scene.
# In Chuck Palahniuk's novel Diary, Stendhal Syndrome is an important element of the plot and is referenced several times throughout the book

* The Stendhal Syndrome (2007)- Staring Asia Argento, and Thomas Kretschmann Director: Dario Argento

I can personally attest to the accuracy of this Random Fact, not only through extensive research, but I myself have experienced such sensations- Heavy breathing, crying, and shaking upon seeing The Roman Colosseum, Various parts of Venice, The Palio of Siena, and the Original works of Botticelli at the Uffizi in Florence. During my 8 period study period in Firenze, I had a number of profs tell me stories of how they've seen tourists being taken to the nearby hospital because they fainted in a museum, church, or along Ponte Vecchio. Of course... for this reason the Florentines take pride in their city and can be uber-pretentious when speaking of their history... I GUESS if I could call my place of birth the center of the Renaissance and have possible familial ties to Da Vinci or Dante Alighieri, I'd be a snob too.

Thank you to everyone who participated and to my distinguished panel of judges. You are all lovely.

1 comment:

paulzak2 said...

YAY! I only have Regis and Kelly umm Anderson Cooper to thank -- and Encyclopedia Branigan -- which far beats out Funk & Wagnalls! I'M GOING TO DISNEYLAND!