Tuesday, December 1, 2009

There is a 23 percent chance that it will be a 'White Christmas' in New Jersey

There is a 23 percent chance that it will be a 'White Christmas' (1 in of snow on the ground) in northern New Jersey based on data collected by the National Climatic Data Center (NCDC).



Based on years of data, there are only three locations the US which are guaranteed that classic blanket of snow on Christmas morning, Marquette and Sault Ste Marie in Michigan, Hibbing and International Falls in Minnesota, and Stampede Pass in Washington.

Seeing a 'White Christmas' at home is something that people in the southern states will rarely ever experience. Whenever my southern relatives would visit during the winter we would always hope it would snow for them, and when it did, they would run out and enjoy it, even if it was just a dusting.

Every Christmas, my family on my Dad's side gets together and we sing Christmas carols. Old and new, we all know every word and have our favorites, giving each song a special meaning. As each year passes, it is singing these favorite tunes that help us remember the people who are no longer here, but who we will always keep alive in our hearts.

My Aunt Sarge lived in Florida, but was originally from South Dakota where it isn't rare to wake up to blanket of white on December 25th and her favorite carol was "White Christmas." While there are many versions of the song, she would ask me to sing it for her, by myself, in front of my family. She made me feel so special. This was a common side-effect of being around her, as she always made it very clear how much she cared for the people around her.

As "I'll Be Home for Christmas" will always be dedicated to my grandfather, "White Christmas" will now forever be sung the memory of my Aunt Sarge.



This post is dedicated to the memory of Cynthia Sarge Branigan. You will be missed.

No comments: