Monday, March 1, 2010

Cat got your tongue? Blame Paul Broca...

...it's his area of your brain that isn't functioning properly. Back in 1846, French neurosurgeon Paul Broca identified an area in the left hemisphere of the brain which is responsible for speech production, including articulation, proper word usage and pronunciation. Broca's area was the first area of the brain to be associated with a specific function.

Why am I writing about Dr. Broca and his area? I was walking out of work today, trying to explain to my lovely co-worker Joanna how my new bootleg purse came with a certificate of authen...authent...ugh, the word ends in "tion"...authenticicication...I know what I want to say...WHATEVER.

I got into my car, feeling rather stupid that I could not pronounce a simple word. I'm a college educated (summa cum laude, has to count for something) adult (hah). Speaking should not be so difficult. Five minutes into my ride home I realized the word I meant to use. Scientific reason for this slip up? I won't pretend to be a doctor, but I would guess it was because I had worked all day, and my brain was a little tired.

Or, it could be that many of the words in the English language are difficult to pronounce? On the list of the most commonly mispronounced words, you will find everyday works like ask, business and realtor. Since you are reading an encyclopedia, I have picked some ridiculously words that you may find a little more difficult to wrap your tongue around. If you click on the word, the link will lead you to a page which will read the word correctly.

Otorhinolaryngologist
Subepithelially
Entrepreneurial
Asklepieions
Antidisestablishmentarianism
Zantedeschia
Pachycephalosaurus
Electro­encephalo­graphically
Sesquipedalianist
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

Oh, and just in case you were curious, it's authentication.

No comments: