Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The most important category of the Oscars is Best Documentary Short

There are twenty four categories in this year's Oscars. While most people watch for the Best Picture and Actor/Actress in a Leading Role, there is another category that I feel is the most important.

In 1997, "Daughter of the Bride" was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Documentary Short. The film, produced by Terri Randall Productions, was the story of a 66-year-old widow who announces that she is planning to remarry and the conflicting emotions of her three grown children.

That 66-year-old was my grandmother, and the man she married was Seymour.

I don't remember much of my grandfather (I was around 5 when he died) but I imagine if there was anyone he would have wanted my grandmother to end up with after him it would have been Seymour. He loved my grandmother with all of his heart and treated her children and grandchildren as his own. Not only did he care deeply about family, but he was also committed to giving back to the community.

For the last 17 years, Seymour was a part of my family, and I feel so lucky to have had the opportunity to know and love him as a grandfather, and as I grew older, as a person. For the rest of my life, he will continue to live on in my heart.


This post is dedicated in loving memory to Seymour Lehrhoff. You will be missed.

2 comments:

Maxer said...

My condolences for your loss....

Tim said...

Very nice post. Sounds like a great man. Sorry for your loss.