Monday, January 19, 2009

Romans are the reason a broken mirror means seven years bad luck

Romans are the reason a broken mirror means seven years bad luck. Romans were the first to invent glass mirrors. They believed that the mirror had the power to take a part of your soul and therefore if your appearance in the mirror was damaged, say, by breaking the mirror, then you would be as well.

Romans also believed the soul was renewed every seven years. So if you were to break a mirror, and your soul was damaged, then in seven years you would be cool beans again.

Sucks...

Personally, I am VERY superstitious. I don't pick up unlucky pennies (pennies that are tails up), I don't walk under ladders, and I get very uncomfortable when a black cat crosses my path (I don't like cats to begin with). All of these mean bad luck, but only a broken mirror means SEVEN years. Supposedly, the only thing you can do once you have broken such mirror is to wait seven hours to clean the broken glass up (not really safe) and then bury the pieces at night (glass, night, digging? Also unsafe, but so is seven years of being cursed).

Some people are just asking for it...


For more information on superstition, click here.


Thanks to the mirror I mounted on my wall for falling and inspiring this post. Thankfully, it didn't break. Maybe that is seven years good luck...hmmm.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Personally I'm not that superstitious, however, whenever I step onto the soccer field I make sure I don't step on the white boundary line. I know it doesn't effect anything, but it's always in the back of my mind..

great post! and visit my new blog: http://sturockinthepot.blogspot.com/

propecia online said...

hello fellas, I just want to emphasize the good work on this blog, has excellent views and a clear vision of what you are looking for.

natural penis enlargement products said...

hello fellas, I just want to emphasize the good work on this blog, has excellent views and a clear vision of what you are looking for.