Friday, December 5, 2008

Yawns are more contagious for primates who care

YAWWWNNN. All vertebrates yawn, but primates are the only ones who catch them. Back, back in the day, primates may have used yawning for social bonding, according to researchers. Now a days, a yawn is interpreted as a sign of boredom, or a good night out.



These same researches showed that people who are more empathic are more likely to be contagious to yawns.


I must be very emphatic, because I can't....YAAAWWWNNNN...stop yawning.

Yawning can also be used as a tool to see if anyone is watching you. The theory is that anyone who watches you yawn will not be able to resist yawning themselves (sorry creepers, you're caught.)



So, how many of you yawned while reading this??? Please, comment below.

Thanks to John "Snake Child" for making me YAWN all day.

8 comments:

Katie said...

Thanks, now i can't stop yawning...

Shana said...

i didn't think i could catch it from just seeing a picture haha. weird.

Digital Ice said...

You suck...I yawned non-stop since i read it

Snake Child said...

Yawner - Thanks for the props. I still can't stop yawning!

- S.C.

Beth said...

I can't believe that just reading this thing made me yawn and now I find it hard to stop.

Anonymous said...

I didn't yawn once while reading it, but as I just typed it I did.

Gerry Schramm said...

The LA Times (or LA Dog Trainer, as Harry Shearer calls it) reported that dogs also yawn in response to seeing a human yawn: http://articles.latimes.com
/2008/aug/09/science/sci-yawn9

No report yet on the human reaction to seeing a dog lick himself.

Kitty said...

I yawned! Crazy. Guess I'm emphatic :) Your blog is so interesting! So many random facts! Thank you.