Sunday, April 19, 2009

One hundred apologies, Mr. Centipede (and other bugs with good intentions)

One hundred apologies Mr. Centipede, I didn't know that you were only here to help me. It's true. While the common house centipede (with its venomous legs and hideous exterior) looks pretty terrifying, its actually something you want in your house. The creepy inch-long beasts feed on bedbugs (eww dead skin-eaters), termites (destructive monsters), cockroaches (overall grossness), silverfish (not even necessary) and ants (filthy food stealers).

Are that many legs really necessary...

If I had only known! Maybe I wouldn't have sucked him up into my Dyson (lies). Centipedes are one of the many bugs with good intentions. Yes, they creep us out, but they are the lesser of two evils. Another commonly killed do-gooder is the spider.




Spiders are another creepy crawler that get the vacuum. Arachnophobia, a fear of spiders, is the most common animal-based phobia. Yes, spiders can bite you and spin webs across paths and old doorways so you walk into them without knowing it, but your everyday house spider eats two of the most annoyingly terrible disease spreading wastes of life bugs ever...mosquitoes and flies. These two flying nuisances bring nothing to the table (and are the reason I own an electric tennis racket). So next time your about to kill that spider on your ceiling, be a gentleman and bring it outside, so it can continue to eat the other bugs you don't want around.

Of all the bugs with good intentions in the universe, there is one I hate/fear the most...the Cicada Killer.


Need I say more?

Cicada killers might look vicious, but male killers can't even sting, and females have to be severely provoked to. However, cicada killers eat a far more annoying bug, you guessed it, the cicada. All cicadas do is sleep for 17 years and then wake up and make vile noise all summer. So cicada killer, while you scare the crap out of me, I'd rather one of you than thousands of googly-eyed noisemakers.

This post was inspired by the centipede I found in my apartment. Ughh

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Thanks for the information!
A creepy bug, but I'm glad to know it is useful.