Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Pineapples are berries, and clearly not apples or mini pine trees

That's the biggest berry I've ever seen... Pineapples are actually a mass of berries which have fused together creating a central fruit.

The pineapple, the only edible fruit of the Bromeliaceae family (There are other pineapple looking plants that you don't eat like the one I bought my friend as a gift. I was wondering why it never grew...), is not in any way related to apples or pine trees.

Pineapples were brought to Europe for the first time in 1493 by Christopher Columbus himself (carried it the whole way... not really, well he could have). The Spaniards thought it looked like a pine cone, and named it "Pine of the Indies". At that time in Europe, the English, being so creative, referred to most fruit as "apples". Mix the two together, TA DA, pineapple!

Don't believe me? Well prepare to be schooled by Union County College.

Thank you Cakers for bringing this to my attention.

1 comment:

cakers said...

i was shocked as well!!